Monitoring and Evaluation Professional, Strategic Development Group (deadline 5 October 2022)
Location: Canberra, ACT or Bulli, NSW (other locations will also be considered)
Job type: Full-time (part-time and flexible arrangements will also be considered)
Remuneration: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
This role will lead and support the delivery of a range of monitoring and evaluation services to clients, generally working in small project teams of 2-4 people. A focus of this role will be work on international development cooperation programs related to Australian research institutions and universities, and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
This role would suit an early to mid-career professional.
About the organisation
Strategic Development Group (Strategic) is a professional services firm committed to seeing improved quality of life and thriving communities resulting from collaborative and thoughtful development. We work with clients in Australia and internationally to help them engage effectively with their communities and stakeholders, understand how to achieve the best outcomes for business and people, and measure the effectiveness of what they do.
Our clients include the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), CSIRO, National Indigenous Australians Agency, Australian National University, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Australian Institute of Marine Sciences, International Centre for Democratic Partnerships, IRT, St John’s Community Services, ACT Government, Riverview Group, McCabe Centre for Law and Cancer, and many others.
Strategic is made up of a team of people with exceptional skills in a diverse range of areas allowing us to bring together project teams that are tailor-made to clients’ specific needs.
Through our monitoring and evaluation capability, we design and implement monitoring, evaluation and learning frameworks, collaboratively develop theory of change / program logic models, undertake program reviews and evaluations, and provide specialist advice to clients. Our approach is characterised by practicality, collaboration, clear and accessible communication, and culturally attuned and inclusive approaches including a strong focus on gender, disability and social inclusion.
We are driven by our company values, which govern the decisions and actions of Strategic and its team members:
Humility: We are down to earth. We value diversity and treat everyone with respect because we believe in the innate worth of all people.
Integrity: We nurture honest and transparent relationships. We stand firm in what we think is important. We say what we mean and we do what we say.
Ambition: We have big dreams for our company and our people. We have the courage and curiosity to seek innovative solutions and we’re committed to our personal and professional growth.
About the role
1. Develop and implement Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning frameworks
- Facilitate stakeholders to work together to gain clarity on aims and objectives
- Facilitate collaborative development of program logic / theory of change
- Design Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning frameworks that meaningfully document – in real world language – what change is being generated, and what is being learnt
- Undertake program monitoring to capture data in line with the framework
- Analyse data and prepare reports
2. Lead and participate in program reviews and evaluations
- Lead and participate in program reviews and evaluations, including designing methodology, undertaking data collection and analysis, and writing evaluation reports
- Effectively manage project teams, including coordinating the inputs of others and supporting mutual learning with colleagues
- Analyse, distil and present qualitative and quantitative data
3. Lead and participate in a diverse range of other project teams
- Contribute expertise and ideas to projects including program design, community engagement, strategic planning
- Enthusiastically get involved in the diverse range of work that Strategic undertakes, and support colleagues to grow and make an impact
4. Create opportunities for new work
- Foster strong relationships with clients and potential clients
- Win work to support ongoing growth in Strategic’s client base and overall revenue, including by writing proposals and proactively creating new opportunities
To be successful in this role, you’ll need practical experience in designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation arrangements, preferably in DFAT-funded international development programs (or similar). Just as important, you’ll need the ability to avoid unnecessary jargon and communicate effectively about monitoring and evaluation with diverse stakeholders. You will also need the ability to write reports that are both thorough and highly readable.
You will be self-motivated, able to work both in person and remote from colleagues, always fostering a collaborative team approach. You will be highly adept at working with diverse stakeholders, including taking a culturally sensitive and inclusive approach to your work.
You will need to be client-focused, driven to make a difference, highly flexible and interested to be involved in a wide range of work. Bring a sense of fun.
How to apply
- your CV (maximum 3 pages) including the names and contact details of two referees
- a written application (maximum 3 pages) that explains why you’re attracted to seek this position and directly addresses the six selection criteria above, and
- an example of a piece of work that you’ve recently completed that demonstrates your capabilities.