Senior Research and Data Analyst, Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (Wellington NZ)
Closing date: Tuesday 30th November 2021, 5pm NZ time
- Use your research, analysis and evaluation skills to inform New Zealand’s economic development
- Help solve challenging economic problems
- Permanent position, Wellington based
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Analyst to join the Business & Economic Development team at the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (MBIE).
About the team
The role reports to the Manager of the Business and Economic Development team within the Evidence and Insights branch. This is a multi-disciplinary team of economic analysts, researchers, evaluators and data scientists that has been recently carved out of a larger team to focus specifically on the economic development portfolio. We apply a range of analytical skills to support the sustainable economic development of New Zealand's businesses, regions and sectors. Our work is interesting, topical and has impact.
About the role:
As a Senior Analyst you will lead research and evaluation projects aimed at improving the well-being of New Zealanders through supporting our economy to become more productive, resilient and sustainable. You will work closely with policy teams to understand their evidence needs, scope out research and evaluation projects and deliver robust and timely insights. You will get the opportunity to work across a range of topics and draw on skills and expertise from across the team, branch and other parts of MBIE.
We are looking for an experienced senior analyst who can lead programme-based evaluations and generate insights to inform key strategic work. The ideal candidate will have expertise in a range of research, evaluation or analysis techniques complemented by well-developed communication skills enabling your research to have impact. You will be a natural relationship manager, with an ability to engage and support staff to help further strengthen understanding and awareness across MBIE. You will also have a commitment to innovation and continuous improvement and generating new ideas and ways of doing things.
Skills and Experience:
We are keen to hear from you if you have (several of the following):
- experience designing and leading evaluations or managing projects
- a passion for generating insights that enable better decision making
- expertise in research and evaluation methods, including quantitative and qualitative methodologies
- strategic nous and an ability to see connections across a wide and varied work programme
- expertise at sharing and communicating insights with a wide variety of audiences to inform key decisions about policies and programmes
- highly effective communication skills and the ability to build lasting working relationships
- a flexible, adaptable and pragmatic approach
- a proactive, can-do attitude with a high level of initiative, sound judgement and discretion
- practice mentoring graduate analysts and analysts
- exceptional teamwork and collaborative abilities and a willingness to share knowledge and expertise with others
Why work for us?
MBIE's Evidence and Insights (E&I) branch develops the evidence base for MBIE's decision making. We provide trusted information on the impact and effectiveness of government initiatives, and formulate insights to inform future policy decisions. We provide the data, analysis, and insights that help decision-makers do their best work. With about 90 staff in the branch, we have a broad range of expertise and offer excellent opportunities for development. This includes active Communities of Practice enabling sharing of knowledge and skills.
MBIE has recently been recognised as the third best employer to work for in New Zealand, according to Randstad’s 2021 Employer Brand Research.
Details of how to apply:
Please refer to our on-line careers website (jobs.mbie.govt.nz) for the vacancy. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.